You know you’ve wondered.
Yes, you have.
How do Mermaids get it on?
When Debbie Herbert told me about her new book, SIREN’S SECRET, out from Harlequin Nocturne, , I asked her to tell me how merpeople have sex because I can’t see any reproductive organs on them. She told me she has avoided that question because, well, read her post and find out what she says and what her brand of Mermaids carry. And there’s a Giveaway.
Mermaids & The Top 10 Things They Carry
by Debbie Herbert
So I’ve been informed that fantasy/paranormal readers have a burning question when it comes to mermaids: How do they do it? Do they spawn like fish? Do male mermen have some kind of secret pouch that contain their (sea) jewels? I’m in the process of writing my third mermaid romance and I have deftly avoided the issue since my mermaid characters shapeshift into human form and do it with human males. Problem solved! But hey, if any of you have some brilliant suggestions for underwater/interspecies mermaid sex I’d love to hear them. Who knows, your idea could end up in a future book.
Although I have no answers to the above question, I propose we can still enjoy fantasizing what it would be like to live as a mermaid. Doesn’t it sound idyllic? Swimming with dolphins, enticing men, sunning on some remote tropical island. As wonderful as it sounds, there must also be an ever-present danger with sea predators (nature’s law of eat or be eaten) and trying to stay hidden from humans.
Those lovely and powerful Sirens of the Sea may give clues of their mer-nature from the things they carry or own. The following list is partly culled from my own books, but members of various mermaid Facebook communities generously contributed. Their suggestions ranged from the whimsical (hand harps and shell phones) to warrior-type possessions such as bows and arrows. Below – a la David Letterman style– is the top ten list of Things Mermaids Carry or Own:
A knife. Most useful for cutting through pesky tuna nets or a defense against sharks and other aggressive sea life. The knives could be found items from a sunken ship or commissioned from a land-legger. In Siren’s Secret, this is the one thing my mermaid shapeshifters always carry with them in a sporran belted at their waists.
- A golden, shiny object to remind her of the sun when she is in the deep darkness of the ocean realm.
- A trident or short spear. Not only as a weapon, but for poking around treasure chests and such.
- A mer–purse or waterproof bag of some sort to collect shells, gold coins and sparkly objects that tickle her fancy.
- Vials to carry mermaid tears, magic potions or neurotoxins harvested from sea snake venom. The vials could be made from shells and have coral stoppers and could be worn ornamentally as a necklace. Mermaids are known for their vanity after all.
- Pearls, pearls and more pearls. Other jewelry includes abalone bracelets and tiaras encrusted with rare gems from sunken treasure.
- Seaweed string for tying fish together and pulling back her hair while hunting.
- A Sand bomb made from thin shells filled with gritty sediment.
- Mirrors and hand brushes for grooming their luscious locks. Another must-have vanity item is a vial of coconut oil for their sea salt-dried skin.
- Flip flops, a clam bra and a sundress for those times she finds herself land-locked. Larger items like this might need to be stashed in a cave or behind a rock.
And there you have it! I’d love to hear what items you would include on the list, your thoughts on mermaid sex, or if and why you love mermaids. FYI, I see them as symbols of feminine power and beauty.
Debbie is giving away a kindle copy of SIREN’S SECRETS to a lucky winner (US, 18 +) SEE BELOW! THANKS DEBBIE!!
by Debbie Herbert
E-FOrmats and Mass Market Paperback Print Length: 300 pages
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0373885822
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne (November 1, 2013)
Shelly Connors’s worlds—on land and in the sea—are turned upside down when an evening swim turns into a nightmare. On a sweltering night deep in the bayou, the mystical mermaid witnesses a horrifying act. With a monstrous killer now hot on her trail, her life and the lives of her kin are in jeopardy.
Terrified of becoming the next victim, Shelly has no choice but to turn to Sheriff Tillman Angier. Tillman has had his intense gray eyes on the sultry honey-haired beauty for a while. The feelings are mutual and impossible to ignore. But he’s determined to solve the murders, and he knows Shelly’s hiding something. Can she trust him with her deepest secret? Debbie’s Website
To find out more visit Debbie’s website!
Facebook fan page for Debbie Herbert Author: https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Debbie-Herbert-Author/151793451695632
Pinterest: alabamagirl3536, Debbie Herbert (alabamagirl3536) Lots of mermaid pictures!
To Buy the book: