Simon & Schuster/Gallery Books
Also in unabridged audio | duration: 3:43 | narrated by Heather Smith
From USA TODAY bestselling author Alice Clayton, known for her “deliciously addictive” (The Book Vixen) novels, this Cocktail series novella reunites readers with Caroline and Simon from the wildly successful Wallbanger.
Simon and Caroline are back for another round of baking, banging, and big life changes. Settling in, but never settling down, Caroline has finally struck a balance between the professional and the personal. As one of the top interior designers in San Francisco, she travels all over Northern California between nook time with Simon.
Perpetual globetrotter Simon has cut his frequent flyer miles in half over the last year, preferring to balance his professional and personal life, as well.
The next step in their lives seems preordained—toasts, veils, and the aisle of rose petals. But when an accident on a photo shoot in Southeast Asia brings Caroline the most terrifying phone call she could ever imagine, she has to ask whether “till death do us part” is a more realistic prospect than faces most couples.
It’s been a grand adventure, and Caroline and Simon wouldn’t go out without the best surprise ending ever. One part sexy, one part laughter, a dash of exotic locales, and one pink nightie, mixed with passion, and you’ve got Last Call. Served with a side of Clive. http://books.simonandschuster.com/Last-Call/Alice-Clayton/The-Cocktail-Series/9781476766768#sthash.MF67b8eM.dpuf
We all go through things with our friends and sometimes we’re along on the ride and sometimes we’re waiting for there to be a place on the ride. That’s the issue in LAST CALL by Alice Clayton for the characters Simon and Caroline as they watch friendly couple after couple stroll down the aisle and/or into the delivery room
I really enjoyed Alice Clayton’s Redhead series. A Lot. So I was excited when this book and an other in the series arrived. I missed the first couple of books so I was glad this story can stand on its own pretty well; Caroline and Simon were developed in WALLBANGER but Clayton handles filling in the blanks pn them in this novella pretty well. I never felt my lack of back story a deterrent to enjoying the story.
It is really short so I don’t want to go on and on. I had a mixed response to the book:
- The lengths Courtney goes to because of the accident on a photo shoot (mentioned in the blurb) is touching and meaningful to me as someone whose husband travels all over the world. It was romantic and heartening to read Courtney’s and Simon’s deep commitment to each other.
- The close relationships they share with their friends. It is really touching.
- The quirky personalities of the characters.
- I liked Caroline’s and Simon’s cats. One even has a speaking role.
- Strangely, I disliked the way Clayton’s characters discuss, and even have sex. It was too much and crass.
- Their blatant disregard of anything financial. In the first chapter one woman pukes on the other’s wedding dress, but it’s okay because she had two! And, she decides to go barefoot rather than clean her shoes as well as possible. If I read correctly this was not a cheap wedding and wedding dresses cost beaucoup. Somehow this gross excess annoyed me and felt very unrealistic. It would be like keeping a new set of furniture in the attic just in case; not like keeping an extra bag of cat litter just in case.
All in all the touching nature of the relationships overrode my dislikes and I enjoyed the book. If I gave stars it would probably get a 3.5 out of 5. Everyone is “doing it” in this book: sex, marriage and babies. It’s like ordering a pitcher of Margaritas!
Want to win my pre-read copy. It is in decent condition but went on a trip and to the gym with me so it’s not “like new.” I am making it uber simple just use the free entry below. You can comment if you want, and share and all that but it is not necessary for this giveaway which going to be a quickie!
US SHIPPING ONLY and you must be 18 years old. Ends at 0:00 EDT 3/31