ABOUT A VAMPIRE
Argeneau series book #22
by Lynsay Sands
September 29, 2015
E-Book/Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
Also available as an audiobook
E-Galley provided by publisher. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinion presented herein are my own except as noted.
In New York Times bestselling author Lynsay Sands’ new Argeneau novel, a vampire accustomed to seducing every woman he meets finds the one determined to resist him…
With Immortal good looks and scorching charisma, Justin Bricker has yet to meet a woman he can’t win over. His potential life mate should be no different. But instead of falling into his bed, Holly Bosley runs away and ends up mortally wounded. To save her, he has to turn her. And then Bricker learns the shocking truth: Holly’s already married.
Holly wakes up with a bump on her head, a craving for blood, and a sexy stranger who insists they belong together. She needs Bricker’s help to control her new abilities, even as she tries to resist his relentless seduction. Choosing between the world she knows and the eternity he offers is impossible. But Justin is fighting for his life mate—maybe even his life—and he’ll break every rule to do it… http://www.lynsaysands.net/books/argeneau/aboutavampire.html
TWENTY TWO Books, and several short stories is a massively long-running series. It’s got to be tough to keep the series exciting and fun to write. This book has twists and turns from page one, and those twists and new takes on a long history keep this series fresh even in this volume. Why, and what can I say without spoilers?
1. Lynsay reduces the appearance and importance of the old guard. Marguerite only makes a cameo appearance in this story, and it takes place outside of Canada. This story is populated more by the Notte clan and newer characters. Bastian and Lucian still show up but more like cranky father figures than full-blown involvement.
2. New situations, all spoilerish so just trust me NEW stuff. And then twists on top.
3. Sexy dream sharing is it for a little while. There are big issues Bricker’s life mate can be with him. I don’t think ABOUT A VAMPIRE is as steamy as other books in the series. I kind of missed that.
4. Before and after she is turned we spend time with Holly away from Bricker and other members of the team of family, enforcers and delivery people.
5. The story structure, finding a life mate and over coming obstacles to get turned and or be together provides a familiar and reliable structure.
6. Along the lines of # 1 above, Justin is not even a member of the Notte or Argeneau family. He’s from California and not Canada!
7. The characters have to get to know each other in a different way than ever before. It’s really quite tender, and sometimes funny!
8. Speaking of funny, I noted the use of some hilarious language in regards to those shared sex dreams like “personal pogo stick.” With Holly having married her best friend from childhood, it’s almost as if her language and knowledge of sex never moved past adolescence.
I thought this one was a winner even with fewer steamy hook ups. It has fresh situations and they had other situations on top that I had not seen coming.
I don’t know where she gets new ideas but she has made this entry in the series a winner.
The title even works because Bricker is considered a young vampire and we’ve been following his story and seen his desire for a long time now!
I loved it!